“August 19 - Departure of Cancelos to Marialva. We passed the village of Meda, rather crowded and does not offer the decay appearance of other settlements. Marialva way to rocky terrain and variously injured. Distance from Meda a league. miserable aspect despite uberedade an extensive valley that is near you.
A part of the town within the old wall, but the greatest extent this covered ruins: there still exists one century Pelourinho. XVI -sepulturas dug in the rocks outside the walls. In the jamb of a door (principal) fence old village are engraved the linear measurements of the county (be, cubit, palm) and besides they call in the Beira alquiez or alquez, that is the perimeter of a shoe sole, and that there is large, may span and a half, probably serving to fix the size of each to soles while the legal standing.”
HERCULANO, Alexandre – Scenes from a year of my life;
Notes trip. p. 134-135.
Always passing rushed to Tras-os-Montes, in hydrogeological work to Longroiva, admiring that castellated hill summoned me insistently. And one day I went up to Marialva and I was dazzled. similar feeling would, for example, later in the beautiful historic city of Trujillo (****) in neighboring Extremadura. Spent very little time would know intimately Marialva, why work so that it was classified as Historical Village of Portugal.
The Historical Village Marialva (is one of the twelve historic villages of the central region of Portugal, first generation part that incorporated the first ten) and it was restored under that program. Its walls has a huge panorama for the Iberian Meseta, cut by quartz saw Marofa (*).
The Historical Village of Marialva spans three distinct areas:
-the Devessa, which is the most recent settlement,situated at the foot of the hill, along the creek Marialva, that settled on the ancient Roman capital Civitas Aravorum;
-the suburb, that from the thirteenth expanded from the Guardian Angel door;
-the citadel walls and the castle, where the symbols of military and administrative authority and remains of houses of the medieval village are installed.
Regarding its name, in addition to having been the Civitas Aravorum, which means the administrative town of the hill, It is also known as Malva by Muslims, by Castro of San Justo, from the reconquest of Ferdinand I and Marialva, whose name is already in the Dom Afonso Henriques charter in 1179.
The suburbs and the citadel are deployed on top of a granite hill.
The Arrabalde is an extramural housing that presents a rare street Corredora here occurred medieval equestrian games involving raids) and is miraculously preserved from the sixteenth century. In both sides, sixteenth century houses and other more recent typology, but full of character. Note the Casa do Leão, ed na antiga, in the house of the Nuns, the cistern and fountain manufactory, the sun of the Marquises of Marialva and Jewish details and other details worthy of note ethnographic.
Yet this street you can find the Church of St. Peter, of Romanesque origin, as seen in plain corbels, We had reforms in sixteenth and seventeenth centuries (Here pulpit with external alpendrado, and the sacristy, with date 1659), churchyard with a side anthropomorphic graves and has inside a beautiful altar in carved wood. But here, what stands out most in sight, Matted are murals, with various styles and eras and of good quality with apostles and trompe raced oiel (artistic technique that creates the depth). Highlight the paintings of St. Sebastian's martyrdom framed by swastikas and still stripped and voluptuous mermaid diverting the attention of devotees to other "paradises", just hidden, but thankfully you were rediscovered and entusiasmas again men with healthy instincts! The altarpieces of the church are built in gilt 1735. The church of San Pedro is classified as a Public Interest.
Very close to the magnificent tourist accommodation which are the Casas do Coro, is the “Drama” a rare small stage for theatrical activities, unknown date.
On the opposite side of the church, the street ends at Largo Corredoura Cruise, the house of the Jewish (tourist office now), the cruise and the sixteenth-century cistern.
The citadel of the Historical Village of Marialva
Here we developed a medieval town that was of great importance in the regional context. In the centuries XIII, goes beyond the walls and in the eighteenth century declined transferring the population to Arrabalde.
Dates from the reign of King Dinis gift oval configuration of the walls that encircle the village (560 meter perimeter), pure example of Gothic fences used in the fortified medieval villages.
The citadel has evocative ruins with fully preserved wall, with four gothic doors;
-the main call of the Guardian Angel or San Miguel, with a niche with that angel, with standard measures insculpidas (used provided Marialva, It was established in 1286 a medieval fair, one of several created by the king Dom Dinis);
King Dinis gift, one of the greatest rulers of Portugal, promoted major restoration work, with the village muralhamento, as it is situated very close to the border opponent, recall that before signing Alcanices, in 1297, Marialva was near the border of Castile, that situava the river Coa.
-Betrayal, on Postiguinho, west, with round arch and access the chapel of Santa Barbara or Chapel Curvaceira;
-and even the gates of Monte and Santa Maria.
It also has three towers (watch, Mount or Valentine and Relationship).
Included in the north wall is the bell tower of St. John the Baptist, with cross Templar, outside the wall next to her is the little chapel with the patron name of the Templars, and even a grave. Marialva is very close to Longroiva, existing here a Templar enclave.
At Present, taking into account the abandonment to which the village was doomed from the mid-eighteenth century, keeping the inhabited suburb, all the circuit of the walls contains is a superb set of ruins, becoming so one of the most spectacular castles and auráticos the entire territory português.O time as they stopped and what remains of their homes even realize it.
The Village Swarmed life until the mid-eighteenth century, but the brutal condemnation of Távoras in 1759 has a stone ghost. It was then mayor of the castle one Távora (There are today two solar Távoras of the Region: em Souropires (*) and Ranhados).
The population moved to the suburbs and the plain, more convenient and less committed to the remembrance of Távoras
Inside the medieval fence is a small walled castle with a dungeon and deployed cistern on the granite outcrop.
Highlight further, the wonderful laçaria the sidewalk, the width of the square, where the whipping remains caged, the former home of the House, Court and jail, in the nineteenth and twentieth century came to work as a primary school, the former home of the rulers of ancient symbols district council autonomy that enjoyed location and a cistern.
Inside the citadel are two well-preserved churches:
-the mother church, Manueline style and dedicated to Santiago has Romanesque details (an inscription and a cross) which brings us the first church to be the twelfth or thirteenth century. In the sixteenth century had a major reform. The interior is interesting with the pulpit and high altar with baroque altarpiece that was not golden (rare aspeto) lavishly decorated and with an image of Santiago, which refers to one of the pilgrim routes to Santiago de Compostela. Still in the chancel, almost life-size, images of Saint Francis of Assisi and Saint Anthony, from the Franciscan convent of Vilares, a few kilometers from the village and which is accelerated ruin. King King Manuel I in addition to the reconstruction of the church, assigns the new charter in Marialva 1515 and promotes works at the castle, the walls and other assets, such as the fountain;
-and the Chapel of the Lord of the Steps, also known as the Chapel of Mercy Mannerist style with elegant facade with outdoor pulpit, within the usual gilded, and the altarpiece with three images (of Christ, as the Lord of the Green Cane, of Santa Barbara and Saint Sebastian), Especially the ceiling that has 42 coffered painted with hagiographic figurations and whose centreline is themes of the Passion of Christ.
José Saramago and Marialva
José Saramago in his book "Journey to Portugal"Gave a beautiful description of Marialva.
"Neste tank is long onde, where is the pillory, being divided at birth and shadow, A humming silence hovers. Ha remains of houses, a alcáçova, o tribunal, the cadeia, others have not distinguished, and it is this set of buildings in ruins, the mysterious link that binds, this memory of those who have lived here, which suddenly moves the traveler, it tightens the throat and raises tears to the eyes. Do not say then that the traveler is a romantic, tell yourself before is very lucky man: have come this day, this time, go alone and be alone, and be provided with sensitivity able to capture and retain this presence of the past, the story of men and women who lived in this castle, loved, worked, suffered, died ".
The Roman city of Aravorum stood in Devessa Marialva
At the door of Santa Maria, broad horizons meditate on the dark history of the Roman city of Civitas Aravorum lying at his feet under the banal Devessa.
This hill was known as Penhascoso Aravor (place-name of Celtic origin meaning high hill). Because of the Pax Romana population down the hill and founded the most important Roman city of this region, with the status of Capital – the legendary Civitas Aravorum.
First we indicate some data of the Roman city, worth knowing the legend of toponymic origin of the locality.
A legendary Maria Alva, the "lady of crowbars" and the temple of Jupiter
It is famous legend of Maria Alva, second popular tradition, giving the town name.
“Existed for many years in the village now called Marialva a beautiful girl who charmed everyone with her beauty, but at the same time intrigued because only wore skirts dragging. How it was beautiful, clear that all the guys wanted to marry her, but everyone responded with appreciation and sympathy, only marry a man who made the shoes as your feet.
There was one in the village shoemaker Baltazar name as it was very sly combined with the maid, put flour on the bedroom floor, so to get the prints of the feet of Mary Alva. And everything went as they planned, the morning when Maria Alva rose, and he went out to give your ride, the maid called Baltazar and they beheld the marks of the feet of the beautiful Maria Alva. Baltazar instead of going to your home make the shoes for Maria Alva was touting the street and said:
– Maria Alva has a body of people and crowbars! Maria Alva has a body of people and crowbars!
Maria Alva heard that climbed the tower of his palace and asked:
– O Baltazar how many you'll brag?
– How many come and find. And he.
Maria Alva did not want to hear any more rose to the top of the tower and from there threw herself dying instantly.
And so the village takes its name from "Marialva".”
Everyone knows the region building, where Unhappy flung. This observed closely it appears that will have been a Roman construction; are the remains of a temple dedicated to Jupiter and forum where they found a tombstone dedicated to that deity. In Devessa was a consecrated inscription yet discovered Hadrian's 179 (it's remarkable novel by Marguerite Yourcenar). Across the plains abound Roman remains, including a small Roman bridge and naumachia, well preserved remains of the hydraulic system that supplied the city. I believe that the mythical Civitas Aravorum still has a lot to unravel under the Devessa, so any utility excavation should be of archaeological monitoring target.
The nearest civitas had a temple to Tower Almofala (*) and which is well preserved and has been described in Portugal Remarkable.
There is money and political aprazimento, because technicians will reveal the Roman past abound.
The Counts of Marialva
noble title gift given by Alfonso V, in 1440, that granted the Vasco Fernandes Coutinho, chief bailiff of the kingdom and marshal, for their important involvement in the North African military campaigns. It is buried in the monastery of Salzedas (Tarouca) (*). 1st Earl of Marialva was the son of the mayor of Trancoso, Gonçalo Vasques Coutinho, the winner of the Battle of Trancoso in 1385 who was also brother of Álvaro Gonçalves Coutinho, the Magriço celebrate the twelve England. The county was abolished in 1534 death ,without descent of the 4th Earl of Marialva.
Dona Luisa de Guzmán, then regent of the kingdom by minority of Alfonso VI would make this earth a Marquessate, taking the first title of Marquis of Marialva the 3rd Earl Cantanhede, António Luís de Meneses, brilliant winner in the lines of Elvas, Valencia de Alcántara and Montes Claros and enable our independence for a few more centuries. Dom António Luís de Menezes was a 40 conspirators from the beginning involved in the conspiracy 1640. He participated in some of the war episodes, the border and Alentejo, having led the Portuguese force that participated in the Battle of the Lines of Elvas (1659), participating in the recovery of Évora (1661), taken Valencia Alcantara (1661) and gone to the rescue in Vila Viçosa surrounded by Spanish, winning them in Montes Claros Battle (1665), practically, ending the War of Restoration.
Unfortunately some descendants of the first Marquis tarnished his name. Unscrupulous, male chauvinist, where the criterion was the hedonism, disrespecting human dignity – o “marialvismo”!
The tragedy of Távoras Marialva
We crave Marialva we seek a golden key to finish this article; could evoke the tranquility of your countryside, the haughty silence, the ruins made of rubble that print poetry and a natural beauty to the place and even the solitary walk in chimeric citadel where one feels an enormous inner peace. Por fim, decide that the conclusion will not be mine, but our Nobel, José Saramago.
"Anyway, left. Go walking down the plain, the Sun is him at eye, something the traveler grew after going to the castle Marialva. Or is the castle of Marialva that goes with the photos and gets bigger. Anything can happen on trips like this ".
1-blog: Meda,Legends and Traditions.